FiinGroup is pleased to introduce Vietnam Cold Chain Market Report 2019, the first and most comprehensive issue on Vietnam cold chain industry. This report presents a board range of topics, both sector-specific and crosscutting market issues.
We have completed the research on Vietnam cold chain market, including background of the market, the demand analysis of key end-user groups, financial performance of each sectors, investment and expansion trends, along with the profiles of key cold storage and cold transportation service providers.
Below are the most critical findings in our third issue:
Please login to download Report Preview
- Total designed capacity of rented cold storages in Vietnam reached 505,234 pallets by the end of 2018: The majority of cold storages are located in the South that accounted for 85 percent of total designed capacity. Meanwhile, the market in the North recorded aggressive expansion of local and foreign players, thanks to rising demand from food service chains, modern trade retail (CVs and supermarkets) and high-value products (imported fruits, meat, dairy products).
- Cold transportation is relatively fragmented with two sub-segments including container and bulk: According to our discussions with leading port operators and shipping lines, approximately 11 percent of container throughputs via seaport in Vietnam (or 2mn TEUs) in 2018 are refrigerated containers. In addition, thanks to rising demand of modern trade retail and food service chain, cold transportation demand for bulk cargo posted a strong growth with expansion of leading players including ABA Cooltrans, Binh Minh Tai, KonoikeVina.
- Key growth drivers for cold chain in Vietnam mostly comes from retail and food industry: Particularly, the market recorded robust expansion of modern trade retail (including CVs, supermarket) and food service chains, who need cold storages and cold transportation to support their distribution network. Meanwhile, high-value seafood product import and export activities remain strong with seafood export turnover of US$8.7 bn in 2018, posting CAGR 2008-2018 of 7 percent.
- In terms of competition dynamics, there are three main group of players in the Vietnam cold chain market: Full-chain companies are still limited with key players including ABA Cooltrans and Quang Minh. Specialized providers offer either cold storage or transportation services such as Emergent Cold, PFS, Hoang Lai and Tan Bao An. Meanwhile, 3PL logistics (Gemadept, Vinafco, Schenker) companies provide comprehensive logistics services including cold chain to fulfill the need of existing clients.
- Cold chain providers posted an impressive performance with average sector net profit margin of 11 percent in 2018: Full-chain service providers outperformed the market with net profit margin of 19 percent as these players normally provide solution to clients instead of single service. Key names include KonoikeVina, ABA Cooltrans and Quang Minh.